The Melbourne theme allows you to include 3 featured link areas that link deeper into your store. The featured links area resizes for different devices, and looks gorgeous on tablets and phones IF you use the image sizes detailed below.
Edit your featured links in the Design & assets -> Theme editor section of your store's Toolbox. There you can upload new images, and enter captions and links. This can be found in the Home Page - Featured Links section.
Editing your featured links
Edit your featured links in the Design & assets -> Theme editor section of your store's Toolbox. Scroll down on this page until you find the section called Home Page - Featured Links.
It's a good idea delete the demo images, captions, and links that are currently there before you start to upload your own images.
For each featured link, you will find the following fields...
- Upload image - To upload an image, click the "Choose file" button, and select the image on your computer. Make sure your images are 420px wide x 220px high or they will be stretched. There's a tutorial on this page with step by step instructions on getting your images the correct size.
- Title - It's a good idea to include captions to give your visitors an idea of where they are linking through to. The titles appear as an overlay on your image. You should preview it to make sure you haven't written too much text. This field accepts text only. Entering HTML here may have unpredictable results. If you don't want a title, or have included the text you want in your image, you should leave this field blank, and the box will not appear.
- Caption - The caption appears underneath the title when you hover over the image. You should preview it to make sure you haven't written too much text. This field accepts text only. Entering HTML here may have unpredictable results. If you don't want a caption, or have included the text you want in your image, you should leave this field blank, and it will not appear.
- Link - If you want your image to link somewhere, enter the page address that you want to link to. You should ALWAYS enter your links as relative URL's. To get the relative URL of a page on your store, view the page in your web browser, and copy the address of the page that's directly after your domain. e.g. if your page is at "joes-widgets.spiffystores.com/pages/blue-widgets", the relative url of this page is "/pages/blue-widgets".
When you are done editing your featured links, or want to save them to view them in your store, scroll down an click the Save Settings button.
Using Pixlr to create your featured link images
Pixlr is a free online image editing program, where you can edit your images in your web browser.
- Go to the Pixlr editor
- Click "Create a new image"
- Set the width to 420 and the height to 220, and click OK
- You now have your canvas to work within. You will need to explore the various tools and options. You can open your own images in Pixlr using "File -> Open image" in the Pixlr menu. You can then copy and paste your images into your slide. You need to make sure when you're doing this, that you don't stretch your images. You can do this by holding down the shift key when re-sizing.
- When your image is looking gorgeous, save it by choosing "File -> Save" from the Pixlr top menu.
- Choose JPEG for your format, and set your quality to 80
- When you've saved the file to your computer, upload it by following the instructions above.
HELP! - My images are blurry!!!
Pixelated or blurry images don't look too great! Make sure you source good quality photos for your featured links, and upload them at the correct size!
If your images look blurry, they were either uploaded blurry, or aren't high enough quality to be used in your store. You'll need to source higher quality images.
You will need to create your images at the correct size of 420px x 220px so that they're not stretched or squashed. You can do this using most image editing programs, but many people find Pixlr useful. That's why we've included instructions above on this page on how to get your featured link images the correct size :-)
You should ensure you source good quality photos, as this is the first thing your customers will see when they visit your site and set the tone of their shopping experience. Spend time to get your images looking gorgeous, as cheap looking, unprofessional or ugly images will will definitely have a negative effect on your sales.
You can also email us if you need help getting your images looking gorgeous! You will need to send your images to us attached to your email if you want any help with this.
« Updating your home page
« The Melbourne theme guide